CREAMY ASPARAGUS SOUP
Asparagus, leeks, whipping cream...combined and they sure make a great soup!
- 2 pounds asparagus, chopped (woody ends removed and reserved to flavor stock)
- 1 large leek (use white and light green part only and sliced thinly)
- 4 cups chicken stock (or 4 cups water and 4 chicken cubes)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 60mins
Pour stock into a large stockpot with woody asparagus ends and bay leaves; let boil then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. In a skillet, melt butter and add sliced leeks; sautee for one minute. Add chopped asparagus and stir fry for 5 minutes. Strain the stock to remove asparagus and bay leaves. Add the sauteed asparagus and leeks. Let boil, then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Slightly puree with hand-held immersion blender. Add heavy cream and season with salt and pepper. Serve while hot.