Spaghetti Squash with Asparagus, Ricotta, Lemon & Thyme
This dish of roasted vegetables mixed with ricotta, lemon, and thyme is full of fresh flavors. Whether as a main dish or side, you'll be satisfied but not heavy.
- 1 small spaghetti squash, about 1 1/2 pounds
- Olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 medium lemon
- 3/4 cup ricotta
- 1 clove garlic, unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, from 4 to 5 sprigs
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Adapted from thekitchn.com
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Carefully cut the squash in half, scrape out the seeds, and brush with olive oil. Place cut-side down on a baking tray and place in the oven to roast for about 35 minutes. Meanwhile, prep the asparagus by snapping off the woody ends and slicing the stalks on a diagonal into 2-inch pieces.
Combine the lemon zest, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, thyme leaves, and ricotta in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and several grinds of the pepper mill. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more lemon juice, salt, and pepper as needed. Set aside.
After the squash has roasted for about 35 to 40 minutes, add the asparagus to the tray and tuck the clove of garlic beneath one of the squash halves. Return the tray to the oven and roast another 10 minutes, until the asparagus is bright green and starting to char in places and when the squash is easily pierced with a fork.
Take the baking tray from the oven and carefully remove the garlic clove from beneath the squash. It should be a little soft from its time in the oven. Snip off one end and squeeze the garlic from the peel into the ricotta and mix well. Transfer the asparagus to the bowl with the ricotta.
Let the squash cool for another 5 minutes. Pull a fork through the flesh to separate and remove the strands from the shell. Add to bowl with ricotta mixture. Mix squash, asparagus, and ricotta mixture, season to taste with salt and pepper, and spoon into a serving dish.
You'll also love
- Creamy Black Bean and Corn Salsa 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Mini Spinach-Artichoke Frittatas 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Rhubarb and Raspberry Crostata 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with... 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins .. no... 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Citrus-Asian Slaw 4.7/5 (14 Votes)
- Asparagus pastry 4.6/5 (11 Votes)