Mediterranean Pasta Salad With Olives And Capers
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups diced seeded plum tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped fresh fennel - (abt 1 med bulb)
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 16 ounces penne pasta
Whisk olive oil, tomato paste, vinegar, and garlic in small bowl to blend. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
Combine tomatoes, fennel, basil, onions, olives, and capers in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let tomato mixture stand at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours, tossing occasionally.
Cook penne in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta; rinse with cold water and drain again. Transfer pasta to large bowl. Pour dressing over and toss to coat. Add tomato mixture and toss to blend.
This recipe yields 12 servings.
This side dish is a perfect contribution to any potluck picnic. Toss in a can of drained tuna for a more substantial salad.