Tomato-Basil Crab Bisque
- 2 tablespoons butter - (1/4 stick)
- 10 ounces fresh crabmeat
- 1 tomato seeded, and chopped - (abt 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil plus
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups clam-tomato juice (such as Clamato)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup bottled clam juice
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add 3/4 of crabmeat, tomato, 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, and garlic. Sauté 2 minutes. Whisk in flour; stir 2 minutes. Whisk in clam-tomato juice and next 5 ingredients. Reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Cool soup slightly.
Puree soup in batches in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Stir in 3/4 cup water and lemon juice; bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before continuing.) Divide soup among 6 bowls. Sprinkle with remaining crab and 3 tablespoons basil and serve.
This recipe yields 6 first-course servings.