Scallop Mac and Cheese ...a must try!
A MUST TRY! The scallops add a delicate, sweet flavor to the Mac and Cheese.
- 1/4 cup Cream Sherry wine
- Kosher salt, for the pasta water
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 1 lb cavatappi or elbow macaroni
- 1 quart milk
- 8 Tbs unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 oz Gruyere cheese, grated (4 cups)
- 8 oz extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 lbs Fresh Sea Scallops
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
1 Remove the crust from the bread and place in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse for 30 seconds or so until the bread crumbs are relatively fine.
2 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the pasta and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well. Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. In a large pot, melt 3/4 of the butter and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. Still whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, the pepper, cream sherry and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and scallops and stir well. Place the mixture in 6 to 8 individual baking dishes. Melt the remaining butter, combine them with the fresh bread crumbs, and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.
Degree of Difficulty: Easy
Oven Temperature: 375°F
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes