Saute Of Fresh Fava Beans, Onions, And Fennel
- 3 pounds fresh fava beans shelled (or 3 cups thawed frozen baby lima beans)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 fresh fennel bulb trimmed, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds coarsely ground
- with a spice grinder
- 1 1/3 cups canned low-salt chicken broth more or less
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup chopped pancetta
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Cook fava beans in boiling salted water 2 minutes. Drain, cool and peel outer skins (do not cook or peel l ima beans).
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and fennel bulb; sauté 5 minutes. Add favas or lima beans and fennel seeds; sauté 3 minutes. Add 1 cup broth and 2 tablespoons dill; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors.
Stir in pancetta and savory, adding more broth if mixture is dry. Simmer until favas are tender, about 15 minutes longer.
Mix in lemon juice and 2 tablespoons dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.