Veal With Mushrooms And Peppers
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound veal stew meat cut 1" cubes
- All-purpose flour
- 12 large mushrooms quartered
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup dry Marsala wine
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
- Steamed white rice for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge veal in flour, shaking off excess. Add veal to skillet and cook until brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Transfer veal to plate using slotted spoon.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in same skillet. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, oregano, allspice and crushed red pepper to skillet. Saute until mushrooms are just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in Marsala and garlic and boil until skillet is almost dry, about 4 minutes.
Add veal and any juices accumulated on plate to skillet. Mix in chicken broth and bring to boil. Cover and bake in oven until veal is very tender, about 1 hour. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Transfer stew to stove and boil until liquid thickens to sauce consistency, about 12 minutes. Serve with rice.
This recipe yields 4 servings.