Mashed Potato, Cheese, And Chive Gratin
- 3 1/2 pounds russet potatoes peeled, and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 package cream cheese - (8 oz) room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh chives - (abt 3 bunches)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chilled butter cut small pieces
Butter 6- to 8-cup ovenproof dish. Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes; return to same pot.
Add cream cheese and mash well. Mix in sour cream and milk, then chives. Season potatoes with salt and pepper. Spoon potatoes into prepared dish; dot with chilled butter. (Can be made 2 hours ahead; let stand at room temperature.)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake potatoes until heated through and beginning to brown on top, about 30 minutes.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
These rich and creamy mashed potatoes (thanks to sour cream and cream cheese) can be prepared ahead of time.