Potato And Wild Mushroom Gratin
- 2 cups chicken stock or canned broth
- 2 ounces dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons butter - (3/4 stick)
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 3 leeks, hite and pale green parts only chopped
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary crumbled
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 pounds russet potatoes peeled, and thinly sliced 1/8" thick
- 2 tablespoons goose fat (or 2 tbspns unsalted butter, melted)
- Minced fresh chives for garnish
Bring stock to simmer in medium saucepan. Add mushrooms; remove from heat. Let mushrooms soak 30 minutes to soften. Squeeze mushrooms, reserving stock. Strain stock. Chop mushrooms, discarding hard stems.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and leeks and saute until tender but not brown, about 20 minutes. Add mushroom soaking liquid, mushrooms, wine and rosemary and bring to boil. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange half of potatoes in prepared dish. Using slotted spoon, top potatoes with onions, leeks and mushrooms. Pour half of liquid over. Top with remaining potatoes, overlapping slices. Pour remaining liquid over. Cover with foil.
Bake until potatoes are almost tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Uncover and bake until potatoes are tender, most of liquid is absorbed and top is beginning to brown, about 45 minutes.
Preheat broiler. Brush potatoes with 2 tablespoons goose fat or butter. Broil until golden. Sprinkle with chives.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (814 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (451 Votes)
- Smothered Chicken with Mushrooms &... 4.5/5 (379 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (260 Votes)
- Hot and Sour Mushroom, Cabbage,... 4.5/5 (165 Votes)