Brazilian Banana And White Chocolate Ice Cream Torte
- 3 cups walnuts - (abt 12 oz)
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter - (1/2 stick) melted, cooled
- ICE CREAM:
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 8 ounces imported white chocolate chopped (such as Lindt)
- 1 1/2 pounds very ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chopped (do not use unsweetened)
- 3 large ripe bananas peeled, and cut on diagonal into 1/4"-wide slices
- 15 small strawberries with stems
For Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Finely chop all nuts with sugar in processor. Add butter and blend until well combined. Press mixture firmly onto sides, then bottom of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Freeze 10 minutes. Bake until light brown, about 20 minutes. Cool on rack.
For Ice Cream: Bring 1 cup cream, half-and-half and sugar to simmer in heavy medium saucepan, stirring occasionally. Whisk yolks in medium bowl. Whisk in hot cream mixture. Return mixture to saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 5 minutes; do not boil. Strain into bowl. Add white chocolate; whisk until melted. Mix in remaining 2 cups cream. Chill until cold.
Peel and slice 1 1/2 pounds bananas. Puree bananas with lemon juice in processor. Mix puree into custard. Transfer custard to ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon ice cream into prepared crust; smooth top. Cover and freeze overnight. (Can be made 1 week ahead; keep frozen.)
For Sauce: Bring cream and syrup to simmer in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low. Add chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool to lukewarm. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm over low heat before using; do not boil.)
Remove pan sides from torte. Arrange bananas and strawberries in rows atop ice cream. Serve with sauce.
This recipe yields 12 servings.