Layered Banana Split Dessert
- For the Crust:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of finely minced pecans
- First Layer:
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 cup of Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream
- Remaining Layers in Order:
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 1 (20 ounce) can of crushed pineapple, very well drained
- 1 (21 ounce) can of strawberry or cherry pie filling
- 2 to 3 cups of Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream, plus extra for dollops as garnish, if desired
- Chocolate syrup, for garnish
- Chopped nuts, for garnish
- Maraschino cherries, with the stem, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, mix together the flour, pecans and butter until mixture resembles cookie dough. Spread into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch glass Pyrex baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Drain the pineapple, reserving the juice for another use; set aside.
Mix together the cream cheese and powdered sugar until well blended. Add 1 cup of the Cool Whip and mix together. Spread this layer over the cooled crust.
Slice the bananas over the top of the cream cheese layer, following by the crushed pineapple, and then dab the pie filling around on the top. Spread out as much as possible.
Spread enough whipped topping on top to cover; cover dish and refrigerate for 24 hours. Before serving, garnish by placing 12 dollops of whipped cream spaced evenly across the top. Drizzle chocolate syrup all over. Sprinkle with additional chopped nuts and top each whipped cream dollop with a cherry. Cut into squares.