Woolworth's Famous Icebox Cheesecake
This cold, lemony, light-as-air icebox cheesecake is the perfect summertime dessert.
- 1 (12-ounce) can Carnation evaporated milk, shaken then well chilled
- 1 2/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (3-ounce) box Lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Shake the chilled can of evaporated milk really well then put it along with a very large mixing bowl in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together the pack of Jell-O and the boiling water until well combined. Refrigerate but do not let it start to congeal.
In another bowl, whisk together the graham cracker crumbs, confectioners sugar, and melted butter. Reserve 1/3 cup of the mixture to use on top. Lightly press the remaining crumbs in the bottom of a 13x9" pan. Refrigerate or put in the freezer until the filling is ready.
In a large mixing bowl and using a mixer, beat together the cream cheese, granulated sugar, and lemon juice until smooth and creamy. Beat in the cooled (needs to be cold to the touch) Jell-O. Refrigerate mixture for now.
Pour the can of cold evaporated milk into the chilled mixing bowl. Beat on high speed of mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. (It should be thick, similar to the consistency of stiffly beaten egg whites.) Beat in the cream cheese mixture.
Pour mixture over the chilled crust. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs over the top. Refrigerate for several hours before cutting into squares.
You'll also love
- Louisiana Shrimp Po Boy Sandwich 4.4/5 (61 Votes)
- Classic French Napoleon 3.9/5 (114 Votes)
- Brownie Butter Cake 4.3/5 (63 Votes)
- No Bake Key Lime Cheesecake in a... 4.5/5 (44 Votes)
- Moist Lemon Angel Cake Roll 4.2/5 (69 Votes)
- Mini Key Lime Cheesecakes 4.5/5 (49 Votes)
- Casserole Lemon Cake 5/5 (3 Votes)