Breaded Cauliflower Cutlets
- 1 head cauliflower (about l 1/2 lb)
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp crumbled dried marjoram
- 1 tsp caraway seeds, coarsely ground
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Lemon wedges
Leaving core intact, remove and discard any leaves from cauliflower; in large pot of boiling salted water, blanch until tender but not softened, about 5 minutes. Drain, chill under cold water and drain thoroughly. Cut vertically into 3/4-inch slices. Mix together bread crumbs, paprika, marjoram, caraway, salt and pepper. Dredge each slice in flour; dip into eggs, then coat all over with bread-crumb mixture.
In skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat; in batches, fry slices, turning once, until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towels. Serve with lemon wedges (or with one of the suggested toppings, below).
• Sauteed mushrooms
• Sauteed Hungarian peppers
• Fried or poached eggs, plain or criss-crossed with anchovy fillets or sprinkled with capers
• Julienned oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
• Tomato sauce or homemade chili sauce
Per serving (without lemon wedges or other toppings): about
259 cal, 7g pro, 16 g total fat (Sg sat fat), 23 g carb, 4 g fibre, 80 mg chol, 758 mg sodium. % RDI (recommend daily intake) 6% calcium, 15% iron, 10% vit A, 82% vit C, 41% folate.