Fettuccine With Shiitake Mushroom Sauce
- 1 1 ounce pack dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 bacon slices minced
- 3 shallots minced
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced (or button mushrooms)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary crumbled
- 1 cup beef stock (or canned unsalted broth)
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 8 ounces fettuccine
- 2/3 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese - (2 oz)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Minced fresh Italian parsley
- Additional freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
Place dried mushrooms in medium bowl. Add hot water and let soak until softened, about 30 minutes. Remove mushrooms from water, squeezing excess water back into bowl. Strain and reserve soaking liquid. Slice mushrooms, discarding stems.
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until fat renders, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Pour off half of fat. Add shallots to bacon in skillet and saute 1 minute. Add dried and fresh mushrooms and rosemary and saute 3 minutes. Add stock and mushroom-soaking liquid. Boil until liquid is reduced to glaze, about 10 minutes. Add half-and-half and simmer until beginning to thicken, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Add pasta to large pot of boiling salted water. Cook until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, rewarm mushroom sauce over medium-low heat.
Drain pasta. Add to sauce and stir until coated. Mix in 2/3 cup Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to plates. Sprinkle with parsley. Pass additional Parmesan cheese.
This recipe yields 2 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.4/5 (1069 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.3/5 (958 Votes)
- Crispy Cajun Shrimp Fettuccine 4.5/5 (75 Votes)
- Roasted Garlic Fettuccine Alfredo 4.1/5 (78 Votes)
- Pasta With Butternut Squash And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apricot Bread Pudding With Caramel... 0/5 (0 Votes)