Pumpkin Cake Roll
- Pumpkin Cake:
- Confectioners sugar (for the towel)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pure pumpkin puree (not pie filling)(I used Libby's)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional
- Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups confectioners sugar
For the cake:
Lightly grease a 15x10-inch jellyroll pan; then line it with wax paper. Grease and flour the wax paper. Set aside.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt. Set aside.
On the counter, lay out a thin cotton kitchen towel then sift confectioners sugar generously on top of the towel. (It needs to be thick enough that you can't see the towel through it.)
Preheat oven to 365° F.
In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar until light textured and thickened, about 5 minutes. Beat in the pumpkin and lemon juice.
Gradually, whisk the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Spread mixture out evenly in the jellyroll pan. Sprinkle walnuts over top of batter then lightly press them down. (Some of them will be lost when rolling the cake up in the towel.)
Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until top of cake springs back when lightly touched.
IMMEDIATELY turn the cake onto the prepared towel. Carefully peel off the wax paper. (I found it easier to tear it off in strips.) Carefully roll up the cake and towel together, starting with one of the narrow sides. Place cake on a wire rack to cool completely before filling.
For the cream cheese filling:
In a mixing bowl and using a hand mixer, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until creamy. Beat in the confectioners sugar.
Pumpkin roll assembly:
Lay the cake on the counter and carefully unroll it. Spread the filling over the cake to within 1/2" of the edges; then gently re-roll the cake, placing seam side down. Wrap cake in plastic cling wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. (I refrigerated it about 1 1/2 hrs. to ensure neat slices.)
To serve, remove plastic wrap and sprinkle top with additional confectioners sugar, if desired, then cut into slices. Garnish each slice with a dollop of whipped cream if you like.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (888 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (893 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Zucchini Parmesan Crisps 4.5/5 (312 Votes)
- Zucchini Chips 4.5/5 (197 Votes)
- Zucchini & Sweet Corn Casserole 4.5/5 (192 Votes)
- Better Than Sex Pumpkin Dessert 4.5/5 (181 Votes)