Pasta With Garbanzo Beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 1/4 cups canned low-salt chicken broth or more if needed (or substitute vegetable broth)
- 1 can garbanzo beans, chickpeas - (15 oz) rinsed, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked small elbow macaroni
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4 tablespoons freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic and bay leaf; sauté until onion is golden and tender, about 7 minutes. Add 3 1/4 cups broth, garbanzo beans, tomato paste and crushed red pepper. Bring to boil.
Add macaroni; reduce heat to medium and boil gently until macaroni is very tender, adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if mixture is dry, about 15 minutes (mixture will be thick but some broth should remain). Season with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf. Stir in parsley and 1 tablespoon oil.
Ladle pasta mixture into 4 bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
This recipe yields 4 first-course servings.
Per serving: calories, 280; total fat, 10 g; saturated fat, 2 g; cholesterol, 4 mg.