Copy Cat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half ( or skim milk)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli ( florets only)
- 1 cup carrots, julienne
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
1. Saute onions in a little butter in a small pan - set aside.
2. In a large stockpot ( I accidentally used a medium-size pan) - melt butter. Add flour and mix for 3 minutes.
3. Slowly add half- half - mixing the entire time.
4. Slowly add chicken stock- mixing the entire time.
5. Let simmer on low for 20 minutes.
6. Add broccoli, carrots; onions and cook on low for 25 minutes.
7. Season with salt, pepper; nutmeg.
8. Place soup in a blender or use an immersion blender and puree.
9. Heat soup over low heat and add cheese and mix till melted.
10. Serve ( hopefully in a bread bowl) and Enjoy