Roasted Broccoli & Fennel Salad
courtesy of Family Table cookbook
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 heads broccoli (1 1/2 to 2 pounds total), cut into bite-sized florets, stems trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
Adapted from oregonlive.com
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
To make vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, sherry vinegar, salt and pepper. Add the chopped onion and whisk well. Set aside.
To make salad: In a large bowl, toss the broccoli with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Put the fennel in a small bowl and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Season both with salt and pepper and spread on separate baking sheets. Roast the broccoli until lightly browned and tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Roast the fennel until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven.
Combine the vegetables and herbs in a serving bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Serve warm or at room temperature.
From "Family Table: Favorite Staff Meals From Our Restaurants to Your Home" by Michael Romano and Karen Stabine