Chicken with Artichokes and Wild Mushrooms
Our Best Slow Cooker Suppers,
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia DeGaris Pursell
A special dinner such as Chicken with Artichokes and Wild Mushrooms is easily achieved on busy weeknights thanks to your slow cooker. The chicken is first browned in a skillet for added visual appeal and flavor.
- 2 skinned, bone-in chicken breasts
- 2 chicken drumsticks
- 2 skinned, bone-in chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (4-oz.) packages assorted wild mushrooms
- 2 3/4 cups vertically sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 (12-oz.) jar marinated artichoke hearts, undrained
- Garnishes: fresh oregano sprigs, lemon wedges
Cooking time 255mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Rinse chicken, and pat dry. Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Place chicken pieces in bag; seal bag, and shake to coat. Remove chicken.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot; add chicken. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Place chicken in a greased 5-qt. oval-shaped slow cooker, reserving drippings in skillet.
3. Cook mushrooms and onion in hot drippings 5 minutes or until tender. Add mushroom mixture, broth, capers, and artichokes to slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low 4 hours or until chicken is tender.