Eggplant With Tomato-Mint Sauce And Goat Cheese
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 eggplants - (1 lb ea) trimmed, and cut into 1/2"-thk crosswise rounds
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can Italian-style tomatoes - (28 oz)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup crumbled soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet)
- 8 fresh basil leaves thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Spray 2 large baking sheets with oil spray. Arrange eggplant rounds on prepared sheets; brush lightly with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 10 minutes. Turn rounds over and bake until tender and golden, about 10 minutes longer. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Add tomatoes with their juices, mint and oregano and simmer until sauce thickens and is reduced to 1 3/4 cups, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon half of tomato sauce into shallow 2-quart baking dish. Arrange eggplant rounds atop sauce, overlapping slightly. Spoon remaining sauce over. Sprinkle cheese over. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with basil.
This recipe yields 4 servings.