Baked Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
These cabbage rolls are baked in a baking dish with an well-seasoned tomato sauce. The mixture of ground beef, rice, and onion makes a wonderful filling for the partially cooked cabbage leaves.
- 12 to 14 large cabbage leaves
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water, to thicken the sauce
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 100mins
Freeze the whole head of cabbage for several hours or overnight. Let thaw for a few hours, then cut around the core and gently peel leaves off (starting at core end) under warm running water. They should be flexible enough to stuff. If not, steam gently to soften.
If you are starting with a fresh unfrozen head of cabbage, peel and drop cabbage leaves into boiling salted water; cover and cook for 3 minutes or just until pliable.
Heat the oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas Mark 4) .
For filling, combine ground beef, rice, onion, egg, paprika, and salt, pepper, and milk. Mix well and divide into 12 portions.
Place a portion of the ground beef mixture into the center of each cabbage leaf. Roll leaf around filling; fasten with toothpick. Place in a baking dish or Dutch oven.
In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, and 1/2 cup of water; pour over cabbage rolls.
Cover tightly with a lid or foil and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until cooked through and cabbage is tender. Remove the cabbage rolls to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Take out the toothpicks and
Place the pan with juices over medium heat or transfer the juices to a saucepan and place over the heat. Stir the cornstarch and cold water mixture into the sauce; bring the sauce to a boil and cook until thickened.
You'll also love
- Pork and Cilantro Dumplings 4/5 (22 Votes)
- Beet Juice Recipe 4.2/5 (10 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Ratatouille Soup 4.2/5 (10 Votes)
- Bone-In Rib End Pork Roast with... 4/5 (7 Votes)
- Tony Packo's Stuffed Cabbage 4/5 (22 Votes)
- Stuffed Cabbage 0/5 (0 Votes)
- : Mom's Cabbage Rolls (Holubtsi) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Amazing Stuffed Cabbage Rolls 0/5 (0 Votes)
Review this recipe