- 1 lb. ground meat (I use a mixture of turkey and beef)
- 2-3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- chopped garlic to taste (4 medium cloves, usually)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- fresh coarse ground pepper (I use a LOT)
- salt (optional)
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 cup grape jelly (sounds awful, but makes a nice sweet/sour sauce)
- 1 bottle chili sauce (not cocktail)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
Remove the core from the cabbage and put it in a large pot of boiling water to cover for 5 minutes. Drain and carefully remove 12 largest cabbage leaves. Coarsely chop remaining cabbage and put it on the bottom of a pressure cooker (or heavy covered baking pan).
Mix meat with bread crumbs, egg, rice, onion, and seasoning.
Place some of the meat mixture near the center of one edge of a cabbage leaf, fold each side over the meat and roll up.
Place the cabbage rolls seam down in the pan. Continue until you have used all the meat and cabbage leaves.
Mix the grape jelly, chili sauce and tomatoes and pour over the chopped cabbage and cabbage rolls.
In a pressure cooker, cook at 15 lbs. pressure for 15 minutes. In a baking pan, cook at 325 degrees for 2 hours.