SPAGHETTI WITH TOMATO AND WALNUT PESTO
From Epicurious. Excellent made August 2016.
wonderful summer mean.
- 2/3 cups walnuts
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 T. plus 1/3 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 6 oil-packed anchovies, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. finely crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 oz Parmesan, finely grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz. spaghetti
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves
Pre heat oven to 350. Toast walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing once, until slightly darkened, 8-10 minutes. Let cool. Heat broiler. toss tomatoes with 2 t. olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt. Broil, tossing once, until tomatoes are blistered and have released some of their liquid, 5-7 min. Let cool. Pulse anchovies,garlic, lemon zest, pepper flakes, and 1/2 oz. Parmesan in food processor until finely ground. Add walnuts and half of the tomatoes, then, with motor running, stream in 1/3 cup olive oil; process until just combined. season with salt and pepper. Cook pasta until al dente. drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water. Transfer pasta to bowl with pesto and add a splash of pasta cooking water. Toss. Add basil and remaining tomatoes. Serve with more Parmesan and drizzle with oil.