Slow Cooker Basil Chicken And Coconut Curry
A little spicy and a lot coconutty, this curry really hits the spot. Serve with sticky rice or naan, or both!
- COCONUT CURRY:
- 2 pounds skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra as needed
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 (13.5-ounce) cans coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, ribs and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 cup fresh Thai basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- naan or coconut rice
Adapted from 12tomatoes.com
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and, once oil is shimmering, sear both sides of (seasoned) chicken thighs in batches, making sure to let oil heat up again before searing the next batch.
Combine coconut milk, dried basil, curry powder, chili powder, and salt and pepper to the slow cooker and stir together until incorporated.
Place seared chicken, red onions, jalapeños and garlic to the slow cooker, and stir everything together.
Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for 6 to 8, until chicken is cooked through.
Once cooked through, use two forks to shred into small pieces.
Create a slurry by whisking cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water in a small bowl or glass. Once smooth, pour slurry, along with fresh ginger, into the slow cooker.
Return shredded chicken to the slow cooker, then stir everything together. Cover and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until mixture has thickened.
Stir in fresh basil and cilantro, then serve with sticky rice or naan.