Sour Cherry Muffins with Crumb Topping
- For the Crumb Topping:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- For the Muffins:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 beaten egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup fresh, frozen, or drained canned pitted tart red cherries, coarsely chopped
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING:
In a small mixing bowl combine brown sugar and flour. With a pastry blender, cut in butter or margarine till mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
FOR THE MUFFINS:
Lightly grease six 3 1/2-inch or twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups or line with paper baking cups; set aside. In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Make a well in the center. In a medium mixing bowl combine egg, milk, and oil. Add all at once to flour mixture; stir just till moistened. (The batter should be lumpy.) Stir in cherries. Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F oven till golden brown, about 25 minutes for 3 1/2-inch muffins or 20 minutes for 2 1/2-inch muffins. Remove from pans; cool slightly on racks.