Basic Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into 1/4" diced pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- salt to taste
in a 3 quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. add onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, 8 to 10 mins. add thyme and carrot and cook until carrot is soft, about 5mins. add tomatoes, with their juice, and bring to a boil, stirring often.
lower the heat and simmer until as thick as hot cereal, about 30 mins. season with salt. can be refridgerated for up to 1 week or frozen for 6 mnths.