Roasted Eggplant Soup
- 3 medium tomatoes halved
- 1 large eggplant - (abt 1 1/2 lbs) halved lengthwise
- 1 small onion halved
- 6 large garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tspn dried thyme)
- 4 cups chicken stock or more if needed (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese - (abt 3 1/2 oz)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tomatoes, eggplant, onion and garlic on large baking sheet. Brush vegetables with oil. Roast until vegetables are tender and brown in spots, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven.
Scoop eggplant from skin into heavy large saucepan; discard skin. Add remaining roasted vegetables and thyme to same saucepan. Add 4 cups chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook until onion is very tender, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly.
Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to saucepan. Stir in cream. Bring to simmer, thinning with more stock, if desired. Season soup with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with goat cheese; serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.