Potato Gratin With White Cheddar Cheese
- 2 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 3/4 cup finely-chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 4 pounds russet potatoes peeled, and cut into 1/4"-thick rounds
- 2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese (packed)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Whisk cream, shallots, rosemary, salt and pepper in medium bowl to blend.
Place half of potatoes in prepared baking dish, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese. Top with second layer of potatoes. Pour cream mixture over potatoes in dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Cover gratin with foil and bake 1 hour. Uncover and bake until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes longer. Let gratin cool 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe yields 8 servings.