Spicy Italian Sausage Pasta
- 16 ounces penne (dry)
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 (18 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 Green pepper, diced small
- 2 stalks celery, diced small
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Chipotle chili pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 6 large leaves basil, torn into small pieces
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese, to taste
Adapted from foodgawker.com
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Slice sausage into bite-size pieces and add to a medium pan or a deep skillet. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, on medium-high heat until browned.
3. Add the wine, diced tomatoes, green pepper, onion, celery whipping cream, garlic, red pepper flakes, and pepper to the pan.
4. Scrape any browned bits from the bottom so they are mixed in with the sauce.
5. Slowly sprinkle in the flour while stirring, so it dissolves evenly and doesn't leave any lumps.
6. Once the sauce starts to bubble, reduce heat to medium and let it simmer for another 10 minutes until the sauce is reduced and thickened.
7. Just prior to serving, add in the torn basil leaves and then toss with the drained pasta. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese, and garlic bread.