Olive Spread With Walnuts
- 1 3/4 cups pitted Kalamata olives or other
- brine-cured black olives - (abt 1/2 lb) pitted
- 3 tablespoons walnuts plus
- 1/4 cup walnuts toasted, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarse-grained Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Finely chop black olives and 3 tablespoons toasted walnuts in processor. Add olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, thyme, oregano, sage, and cayenne pepper and process until coarsely pureed. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts. (Spread can be prepared up to 3 days ahead. Cover with plastic and refrigerate.)
This recipe yields about 1 1/3 cups.
Offer this flavorful spread with French-bread baguette slices that have been brushed with olive oil and toasted in a 350 degree oven until golden.