French Onion Soup Casserole - Quick, simple and delicious!
- 2-3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 3 large sweet, white or yellow onions
- 2 cups, shredded Swiss cheese
- pepper to taste
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted**
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 8 or so slices of French bread
- You can substitute cream of mushroom soup for cream of chicken to make vegetarian.
Slice onions and melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat, and add onions. Saute onions until clear, a little brown is ok. In a shallow 2 quart casserole pan, layer onions, 2/3 of cheese and pepper to taste. In a sauce pan, heat soup, milk, and soy sauce, stirring to blend. Pour soup mixture in a casserole and stir gently to mix. Top with bread slices. Bake at 350 uncovered for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, top of bread should be nice and toasted. Push bread slices under the sauce and top with the remaining cheese. Place casserole back in oven and finish baking for 15 more minutes.