Mexican Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 can corn, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2-4 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced or pureed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- salsa for topping
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the sweet potatoes for 45-60 minutes.
While sweet potatoes are baking, place corn in a heavy cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat with no butter or oil. Sprinkle with Mexican seasoning (as much as you want). Do not stir! Let corn roast for several minutes before stirring. Let it roast for a few more minutes before stirring again. Continue this for about 10 minutes, until corn is browned and roasted on the outside. Set aside in a small bowl with the black beans.
Saute the onion in the coconut oil over medium heat until soft and translucent. Set aside.
Remove sweet potatoes from the oven when fork-tender. Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Cut the sweet potatoes in half. Scrape the flesh of the sweet potatoes out, leaving the skins intact. Sometimes leaving a thin layer of potato inside of the skins helps them hold together better.
Mix the flesh of the sweet potatoes with the chipotle peppers. You can use a mixer or just a spoon, depending on how soft the potatoes are. When well-mixed, gently stir in the black beans, roasted corn, sauteed onions, and cilantro.
Scoop the filling into the skins and top each with 1 tablespoon salsa.
You'll also love
- Vietnamese Duck Soup 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Yummy Hot Beef Sandwiches 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- K's Southern Corn Pudding 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Date Surprise Cookies 4/5 (1 Votes)
- African Chickpea and Spinach Soup 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Buttered Stewed Potatoes 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Pecan Sweet Potato Pound Cake 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Chips with... 4/5 (1 Votes)