Baked Mashed Potato Cakes
Makes 4 servings
- 1 3/4 lbs (800g) potatoes, peeled and rinsed (5-6 potatoes)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 cup pancetta (or ham, bacon…), diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
Adapted from eatwell101.com
1. Cook potatoes in plenty of salted water until cooked through. Meanwhile gently fry onion until translucent and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, eggs, pancetta, onions, butter and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the texture with a bit of milk if necessary.
3. Preheat your oven to 400°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. On the baking sheet, using a ring mold, sprinkle a layer of breadcrumbs, then scoop potato mixture to shape the cakes—about 1 1/2 inch thick. Press down slightly with the back of a spatula and finish with another thin layer of breadcrumbs. Remove the ring mold and repeat the process. 5. Bake in the oven at 400°F (190°C) for 10 minutes, or until golden and serve warm. Notes: You can add grated Parmesan cheese on top of the potato cakes.