Big Martha's Mashed Potatoes
This delicious recipe for mashed potatoes came from Martha's mother, Mrs. Kostyra.
- 3 1/2 pounds white or Yukon Gold potatoes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, warmed
Place potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt in a medium pot, cover with cold water by 2 inches, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 35 minutes. Drain, and let stand until just cool enough to handle. Rub off skins, and discard. Cut potatoes into large pieces.
Combine potatoes, cream cheese, butter, milk, and 1/4 cup cream in a mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat until combined. Season with salt and pepper, and beat to desired consistency.
Return mashed potatoes to pot, and place over medium heat. Add remaining cream, and cook, stirring constantly, until heated through. Serve immediately, or keep warm in a covered bowl over simmering water for up to 2 hours.