Pan-Seared Steaks With Shallot Sauce
- 2 top loin (New York strip) steaks, 3/4" thk
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup canned beef broth
- 3 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chilled butter
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Heat medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks and cook about 4 minutes per side for rare; transfer to plates.
Add remaining ingredients to skillet. Boil until sauce thickens, scraping up any browned bits, about 3 minutes. Spoon sauce over steaks.
This recipe yields 2 servings; can be doubled.