- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh peaches (5 or 6 cups) cut 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon mixed with 2 T sugar
- vanilla ice cream
Preheat oven to 350. Put in flour, baking powder and ¼ cup of the sugar in a large bowl. Stir to mix well. Add 4 TBSP of the butter and cut in with a pastry blender or rub in with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat the egg and cream together in a measuring cup. Stir into the flour with a fork just until the dough is moistened. Shape the dough into a ball and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
In a medium bowl, toss together the peaches, lemon juice, preserves, cinnamon and remaining sugar. Pour peaches into 1½ qt. oval baking dish. Dot with the remaining butter.
Roll out the dough to fit top of the dish. Place it on top of the peaches and crimp the pastry edges to the sides of the pan to seal. Cut a few vents in the dough with a sharp knife. Sprinkle generously with the cinnamon sugar.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the crust is light golden. Serve hot with ice cream.