Lemony Wheat Berries with Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Oh My Veggies - Yield: 4 as main dish, 6 as side dish
A delicious way to eat whole grains! Wheat berries tossed with roasted brussels sprouts, shallots, walnuts and a lemon vinaigrette
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 c. red wheat berries
- 3 c. vegetable broth
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/4 c. walnut pieces
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- salt + pepper to taste
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from ohmyveggies.com
1. Combine wheat berries and vegetable broth in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until tender, about 50 minutes. Drain off excess liquid. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
3. While wheat berries are cooking, start Brussels sprouts. Toss Brussels sprouts, shallots, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large bowl. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned, stirring halfway through cooking time. Remove from oven and stir in walnut pieces (they will toast on the hot baking sheet!).
4. Whisk together lemon juice, zest, remaining oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add wheat berries and roasted vegetables; toss to combine, then serve.