Broccoli Cheese Cornbread
Broccoli. Cheese. Cornbread. Three of my favorite things together in one delicious bread!
- 2 (6 oz) packages Martha White's Gladiola yellow cornbread mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 (8 oz) container small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese, divided (I used mild)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) margarine or salted butter (I used margarine)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli florets
Microwave chopped broccoli and 2 tablespoons water in a covered dish on HIGH for 3-4 minutes, just until bright green and crisp tender. Drain well in a colander. Set aside to cool slightly.
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onions, then sprinkle garlic salt, salt, and pepper over the onions and saute until onions are softened, stirring constantly so onions don't brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, very lightly whisk the eggs; stir in cornbread mix, milk, cottage cheese, and 1 cup of the grated cheese. Fold in the broccoli and onion mixture just until combined. Let batter rest while you butter or spray an 11x8" (or equivalent) baking pan. Pour batter into the pan. Sprinkle remaining 3 tablespoons cheese over batter.
Bake 35-40 minutes, or until golden and center tests done with a toothpick.
Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before serving. (After cooling 10 minutes, I cut it into squares and transferred to a serving dish to serve.)