Classic Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 TBS Olive Oil
- 3 Bone in Chicken Breast or Thighs
- Kosher Salt & Pepper
- 2 Stalks Celery Chopped
- 1 Cup Carrots Chopped
- 1 Cup Chopped Onion
- 2 Cups peeled and chopped Potatoes
- 1 tsp. Dry Thyme
- 2 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 1/2 Cups flour
- 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 6 Tbs. Butter, Melted
- 3/4 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Tbs. Parsley
- Chicken Boullion
Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch Oven over a medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, to your taste.. Brown 4-6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; reserve the pot.
Add the celery, carrots, onions, potatoes, thyme and garlic to the drippings in the pot and cook , stirring until veggies begin to soften, 3-5 minutes. Add the chicken, bay leave and 6 cups of water. I added 2 Tbs. of Chicken Boullion to the water. Bring it to a simmer and cook until the job Clem is done about 10-15 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and transfer the chicken once again to a plate. Let cool. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and return back to the pot.
Whisk together 1/2 cup of the flour, 2 Cups of the liquid from the pot and 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk the flour mixture back into the pot and simmer until slightly thickened. 3-5 minutes.
Make the dumplings: Whisk together the remaining 2 Cups of flour, the baking powder, baking soda and 1/4 Tsp of salt and pepper and 1 Tbs. chicken boullion in a medium bowl. Whisk in the melted butter, buttermilk and parsley. Reduce heat to low and drop the dumplings into the broth with a Tablespoon. Simmer covered, until the dumplings are firm 8-10 minutes. Enjoy!
You'll also love
- Cashew Chicken Rotini Salad 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Campbell's Chicken and Stuffing... 3.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Buttermilk Soaked Barbecued Chicken 5/5 (1 Votes)
- "Ono" Chicken Long Rice * WW 4.4/5 (34 Votes)
- Easier Bone-In Buttermilk Fried... 4.4/5 (50 Votes)
- Country Captain Chicken 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Melissa's Southern Style Slow... 4.6/5 (27 Votes)