Black Bean And Chorizo Soup
- 3 ounce Spanish chorizo link - (to 4 oz), coarsely chopped (spicy cured pork sausage)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth - (to 3)
- 2 cans black beans - (15 to 19 oz ea) rinsed, drained
- Thinly-sliced lemon rounds for garnish
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
Cook chorizo, onion, garlic, bell pepper, pepper flakes, cumin and salt in oil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Add broth (2 1/2 cups for smaller cans of beans or 3 cups for larger) and beans and simmer, partially covered, 15 minutes. Lightly mash beans with potato masher to slightly thicken.
This recipe yields 4 servings.