Chicken And Shiitake Mushrooms In Tomato Sauce
- PARMESAN ORZO:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 1/2 ounces shiitake mushrooms stems discarded, and large caps halved or quartered
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup red or white wine (optional)
- 1 can Italian plum tomatoes - (28 oz) with juices
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian plum tomatoes with juices
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian (flat leaf) parsley
- 1 small garlic clove minced or crushed
- through a press
- 1 fresh orange zest strip - (1/2" by 2") remove with
- a vegetable peeler
- 2 tablespoons torn or cut up fresh basil (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Parmigianno-Reggiano or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely- chopped parsley
Heat oil a deep-sided heavy skillet or saute pan with a lid, preferably with a non-stick coating, over medium heat. Add the chicken smooth-side down. Saute, turning each piece with tongs or a plastic spatula until lightly browned, about 5 minutes per side. Half way through cooking add the shiitakes; lightly brown on both sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; remove chicken and shiitake to a side dish.
Add the wine to the hot skillet and boil over high heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, parsley, garlic and orange zest. Heat to boiling; stirring to combine ingredients. Return the chicken, shiitake and any juices on plate to the skillet. Cover and cook, over medium heat, 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a heated platter; cover with foil.
Turn the heat to high and boil the tomato mixture until slightly reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Add basil, if using. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with basil and serve with the Parmesan Orzo.
For the Parmesan Orzo: Cook orzo in boiling, salted water, partially covered, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. When the water returns to a boil, uncover and boil until tender, about 15 minutes. Toss with the cheese and parsley.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Butterflied Leg Of Lamb Marinated... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Beef Sates With Hoisun Dipping... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bananas With Sugar And Crème... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Asparagus Au Beurre 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Thanksgiving Stuffed Onions 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Heirloom Tomato Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crispy Polenta Cakes With Wild... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Couscous And Cherry Tomato Salad... 0/5 (0 Votes)