Couscous with Red Lentils and Easy Preserved Lemons
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large lemon, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1 cup red lentils
- 5 ounces arugula, leaves torn
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup toasted shelled unsalted pistachios, coarsely chopped
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a small saucepan, boil 2 cups of water. Add the sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper; stir until the salt dissolves. Add the lemon slices and cook over moderately high heat until softened, 15 minutes. Transfer the lemon slices to a plate. Boil the liquid until reduced to 1/3 cup, 3 minutes; let cool. Whisk in 1/4 cup of the oil.
Meanwhile, bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the couscous. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork.
Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil, add the lentils and cook over moderately high heat until tender but not mushy, 6 minutes. Drain, transfer to a bowl and add the couscous.
Stir all but 1 tablespoon of the lemon oil into the couscous and season. Toss the arugula with the lemon juice and remaining olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the arugula to plates, mound the couscous on top and drizzle with the remaining lemon oil. Top with the lemon slices and pistachios.
You'll also love
- Pie-Lemon Meringue 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pineapple Cherry Minis 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Cranberry Orange Scones 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Lemon-Mustard Broiled Sole 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Avocado Black Bean Salad 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Chicken and Black Bean Chimichanga 5/5 (1 Votes)
- One Pot Wonder Southwest Pasta 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Best Sesame Noodles 5/5 (1 Votes)