Yucatan-Style Turkey Soup
By Sharon T
Turkey soup flavored with chipotle peppers, fresh cilantro, queso fresco, and garnished with lime wedges and avocado.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce, drained and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or turkey stock
- 2 cups tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound cooked turkey, shredded or cubed (about 3 cups)
- 2 small zucchini, chopped (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into wedges
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 6 fresh cilantro sprigs
Adapted from yummly.com
In a dry medium skillet, combine onion slices and unpeeled garlic cloves; cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes or until edges are brown and remove from pan to cutting board. Chop onion; peel and slice garlic cloves.
In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, sliced garlic, and chipotle peppers. Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add carrots. Cook and stir for 3 minutes more.
Add broth, tomatoes, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add turkey, zucchini, and snipped cilantro; cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
Serve with queso fresco, avocado, lime wedges, and cilantro sprigs.
You'll also love
- Trofie al Pesto with Green Beans 5/5 (1 Votes)
- ARROZ CON NOPALES 3.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Christmas Cranberry Salad 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Roasted Acorn & Delicata Squash... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Beef Shish Kabobs on the Grill 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bread 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Beef Cheese Enchiladas with... 5/5 (1 Votes)