Morel and Asparagus Spaghetti
- 1/2 oz. dried morel mushrooms (about 5 mushrooms)
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus (1 pound), ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
1. Place morels and 8 cups boiling water in a bowl, set aside until morels are tender, about 30 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to a cutting board and slice in half lengthwise.
2. Pour soaking liquid into a large stockpot, discarding any dirt or sediment at the bottom. Add additional water sufficient to cook pasta, bring to a boil. Season water with salt, add spaghetti; cook, stirring, until al dente, about 13 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil and butter in a 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and shallots; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 4 minutes. Add reserved morels, plus asparagus and stock, bring to a boil. Cook, covered, until asparagus is tender, about 3 minutes. Uncover, add cream, cook until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and add pasta, juice, zest, salt, pepper, and cheese. Toss until evenly combined. Drizzle with more olive oil and sprinkle with more cheese, if you like.