Classic Beef Stroganoff
- 1 pound beef tenderloin or sirloin steak, about 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, washed, trimmed and sliced
- 1 medium onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth (bouillon)
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 to 4 cups hot cooked noodles
Cut meat across the grain into 1/2-inch strips, about 1-1/2 inches long. Melt butter in large skillet. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until onion is tender, then remove from skillet. In same skillet, cook meat until light brown. In same skillet, cook meat until light brown. Reserving 1/3 cup of the broth, stir in remaining broth, the catsup garlic and salt. Cover; simmer 15 minutes.
Blend reserved broth and flour; stir into meat mixture. Add mushrooms and onion. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Reduce heat. Stir in sour cream; heat. Serve over noodles.