Braised Chicken with Lemon and Capers
- 8 boneless chicken thighs, with skin if possible
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 large peeled garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cups Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 4 one inch strips of lemon zest
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 bay leaf
1. Preheat oven to 350. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust with flour. In a large ovenproof skillet, melt the butter in the oil. Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook over high heat, turning once, until browned, 8-10 minutes. Transfer chicken to platter and pour off all but one tbsp of fat.
2. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and boil over high heat until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, lemon zest, thyme, capers, and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the pan, skin side up. Transfer the skillet to the oven and braise for about 25 minutes, until the meat is tender.
Return the skillet to the stove and boil until the sauce is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Discard the thyme, bay leaf, and lemon zest before serving