BROWN RICE WITH ONIONS AND ROASTED RED PEPPERS
Serves 4 to 6. Published March 1, 2009. From Cook's Illustrated.
Short-grain brown rice (see related How To Cook) can also be used.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions , chopped fine (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice (see note)
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese , grated (1/2 cup)
- 1 lemon , cut into wedges
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, 12 to 14 minutes.
2. Add broth and water; cover and bring to boil. Remove pot from heat; stir in rice and salt. Cover and bake rice until tender, 65 to 70 minutes.
3. Remove pot from oven, uncover, fluff rice with fork, stir in roasted red peppers, and replace lid; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and black pepper. Serve, passing Parmesan and lemon wedges separately.