Coconut Pecan Frosting
German Chocolate cake ain't nothing without this icing!
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup evaporated (canned) milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened, flaked coconut, lightly packed
- 1 cup chopped pecans (toasted, if desired. I didn't.)
Place the coconut and pecans in a large mixing bowl then refrigerate until needed.
In a medium saucepan, whisk the egg yolks and evaporated milk together. Add sugar and butter. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce heat to medium and boil for 10-12 minutes or until thickened, whisking constantly.
Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla. Pour mixture over the refrigerated coconut and pecans, stirring to combine. Cool to spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
Frost warm (not hot) cake. This recipe makes plenty to frost a 13x9 cake but it may take more for a layered cake.