Chicken, Farro, and Vegetable Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Grilling the chicken and vegetables gives this healthy and hearty salad a smoky, sweet flavor. If you prefer, substitute sliced celery for fennel and pearl barley or wheat berries for farro.
- 4 skinned and boned chicken breasts, trimmed
- Lemon Vinaigrette, divided
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 10 sweet mini peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Lemon Vinaigrette
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from southernliving.com
1. Place chicken and 1/4 cup Lemon Vinaigrette in a 1-gal. zip-top plastic freezer bag. Seal and turn to coat. Chill 30 minutes. (Reserve and chill remaining vinaigrette.)
2. Meanwhile, cook farro according to package directions, adding 1 tsp. salt and 2 garlic cloves before bringing to a boil. Drain and rinse; discard garlic, and transfer farro to a large bowl.
3. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade in bag. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper. Grill chicken, covered with grill lid, 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until done. Transfer to a platter; cover with foil.
4. Toss together onion, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Place vegetables in a large grill basket, and grill, covered with grill lid, 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables start to char and soften, stirring and turning every 2 minutes. Transfer vegetables to bowl, and cover with foil.
5. Coarsely chop chicken; toss with farro, vegetables, parsley, basil, thyme, and 1/4 cup chilled reserved Lemon Vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper, and serve with remaining vinaigrette.
Whisk together first 8 ingredients; add oil in a slow stream, whisking constantly until smooth.