Highbush Cranberry Jelly with Certo
This recipe uses Certo
NOTE: Highbush cranberries are a fruit of the honeysuckle, and completely different fruit than the lowbush or commercial cranberry.
Highbush cranberries grow on a shrub with pointed leaves whereas cranberries grow on a vine with oval leaves.
Highbush cranberries have a single seed, which needs to be removed.
If you have ever smelled something reminiscent of stinky socks on a stroll through the bush, you are likely very close to a good patch of highbush cranberries.
The seeded pulp of the highbush cranberry can be used interchangeably with the pulp of the regular cranberry in any recipe.
- 4 cups highbush cranberries
- 6 cups water
- Additional water (as needed)
- 7 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon margarine or 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 packet liquid pectin (Certo)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 70mins
1) Bring the berries and water to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
2) Crush the berries or put through a food mill.
3) Strain the juice in a cheesecloth-lined sieve.
4) Add any additional water if need to bring the juice up to 5 cups.
5) Bring the juice and sugar up to a boil.
6) Add the margarine, then the liquid pectin.
7) Bring back to a boil, stirring constantly boil hard for 1 minute.
8) Remove from heat.
9) Skim foam from surface and pour into sterile pint jars and seal.
10) Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
You'll also love
- Blackberry Cordial 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Rhubarb Marmalade Recipe 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Strawberry-Lemon Refrigerator Jam 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Ojibwe menwaagamig (Native... 4.3/5 (19 Votes)
- Easy Cranberry Sauce 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Pineapple Habanero Jelly 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Cotton Candy Jelly 3.8/5 (12 Votes)
- Pickled Banana Peppers 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Kjötsúpa (Icelandic Lamb Soup) 3.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Pickled Kielbasa 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Apple Jelly Without Added Pectin 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Choke Cherry Jam 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Highbush Cranberry Sauce - Spiced 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Preserves - Peach Homemade 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bumbleberry Jam 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sparkling Holiday Jam 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Chicken in Creamy Tomato... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Gingerbread Spice Jelly Recipe 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pina Colada Jam 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Ziti with Pesto 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Blackberry Jam With Liquid Pectin 3.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Cranberry Cheese Box or Ring 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Strawberry Cream Puffs With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Blackberry Fudge 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fennel Braised Pork Chops with an... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Hallelujah Banana Bread 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Steak with Warm Shallot... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Strawberry-Basil Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)